From left to right,
Venus, Vulcan and Mars.
Reused in a Late Roman wall on the Île de la Cité. Engraving by J.-B. Jollois, 1843.
The frigidarium of the baths.
In the background, the blocks
of the Boatmen's Pillar resting
on stacks of tile. Photo: J.-P. Adam.
Prior to the establishment of the Carnavalet Museum -the museum of the history of Paris-the Museum of the Middle Ages and the Cluny Baths was the logical place to store a great many high-quality archaeological stone blocks. These include a pillar showing three divinities, discovered in the 19th century in reuse on the site of the Hôtel-Dieu public assistance hospital, as well as the famous Boatmen's Pillar, discovered beneath Notre Dame.
For chronological reasons, the classical collections are presented in the former frigidarium of the baths; the rest of the museum is given over to medieval collections.
Musée national du Moyen Âge
Thermes et hôtel de Cluny
6, place Paul Painlevé
75005 PARIS web site